• Announcement: ‘Winter Show’ | Cape Town, South Africa

DF Contemporary's group "Winter Show" is on from June to July 2017, showcasing various emerging and established South African artists, among them Cape Town artist Caitlin Mkhasibe, in a mix of illustrative, surreal, whimsical, photographic & painterly artworks.

19243346_1853638454898927_4362378482067641718_o
    'Slink' by Caitlin Mkhasibe

Winter Show

Caitlin's Statement for the exhibition:

"My work honours an alignment to truth (nature) & has a respect for animals. This is reflected in the imagery of the work or the philosophy I hold regarding my journey in finding or creating alternative materials that lessen my negative impact on resources. I meditate on sound and the purge that comes from it & focus on actively practicing art as a transcendence of structural time & language rather than focusing on the cerebral; the use of words & the discussion of art. The visual appreciation of space (astronomy) is also of interest to me. Anatomical illustrations also influence my obsession with detail in terms of nourishing my own understanding of intricate, improvised, abstract mark-making.

19396766_1853638384898934_6478602083579168603_n
    'Carrots and Fish' by Caitlin Mkhasibe

Deeply informed by my experience as a drummer as part of the sonic and visual ensemble, Morning Pages, my textural and line-based illustrative work represents natural imagery and recorded sounds that I capture visually. Through this, I play with the notion of synesthesia: the overlapping of the five senses."

Venue: DF Contemporary, The Hills Unit 6, Buchanan Square,160 Sir Lowry Road, Woodstock, Cape Town

Click here to see DF Contemporary's Winter Show Catalogue.