• Announcement: Migration, a group exhibition | Vadodara, India

Congratulations to Indian artist Sarika Kumari who will be curating and participating in a group show at the Art History and Aesthetics Department of Maharaja Sayajirao University, opening today! 

“MIGRATION”

Curated by: SARIKA KUMARI

Inauguration: Thursday, 21st September 2017

Time: 11:30 am

‘Migration’ is the movement of people from one place to another. Sometimes that movement is seasonal, as when birds migrate north in summer and south in winter. The reasons for migration can be economic, social, political or environmental. Dipen, the artist collaborating with me in this project works with the idea of labour, middle class and try to create a tension within the space of exhibition. Here the artist with me attempts to see the migrant people as ‘migrant laborers’ who move from one place to another in search of jobs. They travel by packed compartments in local as well as long distance trains. Their comfort in such travels depends on whether they get seats or at least some space to keep their feet.

The choice of the space for this exhibition is deliberate for this is one of the spaces of ‘communion’ within the campus which reminds me of the places/spaces where migrant people gather to exchange experiences and information.

Venue: Faculty of Fine Arts, Maharaja Sayajirao University, Art history and Aesthetics Department, Vadodara, Gujarat- 390002,