• re: S/T, Series: The dying of the light

Thanks for your comment, Uji Venkat.

You are right. I'm interested in the encounter between two opposing connotations in a work of art, which could be summed up in light and dark. In the works you can see danger and tragedy, but also a hope, a calm. I like to play with that ambiguity when working.

I understand the artistic experience as a means able to lighten the weight of the mystery that surrounds life. Therefore, the reference to the world of dreams seems very interesting because it emphasizes the connection between the visible and the invisible. The works leave you with the question Is it real what I'm seeing or is a fictional scene? I invite the viewer to travel through the universe where the boundaries between the space of the real and the imaginary have disappeared to be the viewer who peek into the unfathomable enigma.

• Sheila, I love the pieces from your latest series, “Projected Reflections.” You have expanded your investigation more into the dark. I’m also seeing more of the enclosed spaces and how light is filtered within them. I like that your work has further developed the idea that art is able to, as you said, “lighten the weight of the mystery that surrounds life” because your structures have become more defined. The physical restrictions appear to be more in the direction of realism than some of your previous pieces and I can very much still see the theme of a guiding light as a relief from hardship and difficulty.

Did you intend to work towards realism with physically constrained spaces? Even if these spaces are fictional, they are widely relatable emotionally, if not physically. I personally have a stronger connection to the stresses in my life and the spaces I seek release.

A claustrophobia, being boxed in, evokes an emotional connection to your work. It triggers an almost physical response, derived from memories and associations with the architecture in similar spaces. I strongly feel that your pieces present the viewers with the same challenges they face when they approach dilemmas in their own lives. They have the choice to proceed with hope or with fear. Wandering into the future, the unknown, is perhaps more about our approach than what lies there in actuality. Conceivably, the structures are constructs and limitations we have built.

I am enamored of the stark lined enclosures and refracted light. Most of your pieces utilize a cool color scheme, but I am most intrigued by the reddish and purple undertones in the lighting of a few of your pieces, especially the 150 x 180 cm piece from Projected Reflections, that is currently your cover picture. They instill a subtle but evident warmth and faith. Amongst the chaos I feel a sense of reassurance.