• re: Untitled – 1978/1986 Things, Events and People That Cast No Shadows

After reading your explanation, I am even more interested in learning about your work. The incredible contributions of both Julia Chikamoneka and Alice Lenshina are, in a way, immortalized through your art. You have given an account of a piece of history which is lost to many. While much of that information is lost, the memory of their impact is still alive. You have given these figures new life, out of their bodies, out of their lifeless physical forms.

Women all over the world have been written out of history. A prime root of this issue is that our credible sources, respected writers and historians, have historically had a tendency to be males. As a woman, I appreciate your tribute to powerful female figures.

The idea of immortalization through art and writing fascinates me because the soul is somehow still present even when the fragile body is physically removed in death. But what serves as preservation if history is not accurately recorded? As you said, much of both of theses heroes’ stories is lost. I’m forming a larger understanding of your title and the idea of erasing existence.

I also found an interesting parallel in your choice of media. Ink is permanent and oil is very workable. Did this choice have anything to do with the permanence and fading of the characters’ histories?