• ‘Reinventing the Still Life Studies’ | Kolkata, India

EAS is pleased to feature the exceptional artworks of student artists from the Indian College of Arts
    and Draftsmanship in Kolkata under the tutelage of Samindranath Majumdar, their artist mentor.  Majumdar shares with us the nuances of an innovative assignment developed for students in a traditional “still life studies” class that had been following the outdated, colonial pedagogical strategies.  

This exhibition gathers together the work of third-year arts students, resulting from an exploratory assignment within a “still life studies” class, where I served as artist mentor. Intending to open young minds to infinite possibilities, I asked the students to carefully observe the works of master artists and try to relate, imbibe, and/or juxtapose their narrative visuals with the particular theme of the still life arrangement assembled in the classroom studio to work from.

I challenged them to quote and to relocate the still life in a fresh new space of their choosing, to create their own unique compositions. The question of creative freedom was important too, so I introduced the students to appropriation strategies.  Drawing on pedagogical nuances, I aimed to engage the students intimately with the works of masters while exploring on their own how an artist traverses pathways of creativity to create their own visual language.

I am happy to share the extraordinary artworks created by the student artists for the assignment.

Many thanks to my colleagues from the Indian College of Arts and Draftsmanship, who have been extremely supportive all along.  I am indebted to Sri Jogen Chowdhury, who has kindly consented to open the show.

-Samindra Majumdar

The 'Still Life' arrangement for the class:

Gallery of the students' works:

Scroll down to see the whole exhibition.

Click on the full-screen button   on the bar below, to view images and texts at full resolution.

1891153155-FINAL-7.7.22-third-year-class-works-final

These works were exhibited at the Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata from June 15th-21st, 2022

Born in 1966, Samindranath Majumdar completed his post graduate degree in the History of Art from Rabindra Bharati University. He is an artist, an art teacher and an art activist.
    As a practicing artist, he has been showing his works in group shows all over the country and abroad since 1988. He has eight solo exhibitions to his credit and received three national level awards and several state level awards for his paintings. He also received the Ebrahim Alkazi Endowment Scholarship for pursuing research work.
    Samindranath Majumdar curated an international art exhibition at the the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) in Kolkata with Emergent Art Space in 2016. He has participated in several national and international art camps in India and abroad since 1995, including the ASEAN workshop, 2016 and co-authored a book named “The Great Journey of Shapes: Collages of Nandalal Bose”. He teaches Fine Arts (Painting) at The Indian College of Arts & Draftsmanship, Kolkata, India.
    Emergent Art Space is grateful to Samindranath Majumdar for serving on its Advisory Board.

Email: Samindra18@gmail.com