• Paulius Sliaupa | Alumni Test 7
    Paulius Šliaupa

Every winter there is less and less snow in the Baltics. Denial of the changing environment indirectly affects the individual lives by gradual distancing from nature, alienation, but craving for intimacy and understanding at the same time. The changes are happening on scales that are beyond human reach and maybe they can not be explained by science theories and words? Coming from a family of geologists, I am interested in these frictional relationships between culture and nature, the interaction of natural and artificial ambiances and lights that affect our daily lives. Having spent my childhood between the laptop screen and fishing on the riverside, I constantly sense that experiences are fading away. I wish my art to impact the viewers psychology, to influence their way of being present.

From video installations and experimental movies for the cinema to object like paintings, I work with associations to create a journey through different spaces and sensations. By accumulating the flow of painterly images, atmospheric sounds, and poetic energy, I form sensual narratives. My artistic research led me to explore the structures of poetic cinema, artist moving image, suspense, magic realism, and sci-fi literature. Most projects consist of multiple works, grouped around specific themes such as organic structures, rituals in nature; the flow of natural and artificial light; expeditions into the mystery of the night, absurdly seducing happenings.

Publications

Learn about Paulius active artist life in ‘Nature & Culture - Sensory Narrative and Frictional Relationships’

Artwork

Current Projects