• TOPIC: COLLABORATION

How does collaboration redefine a contemporary understanding of art?

The prevalence of collaborative art practices has grown since the 1960s.  Today we are seeing new forms of artistic collaboration and participation emerge out of the digital medium and the inclusion of a wider ranges of disciplines.

However, collaboration affects the way we view and understand art work.  How does this challenge the role of the artist as author and expand the concept of process? How does collaboration nurture a broader relationship of social, political, and personal issues?

View this post on Facebook

• From the participants in the Scribble It Down project:

The idea of sharing my world, my point of view and my perception of it on
      one hand, and the ability to expose, be exposed, and collaborate with other
      artists from different worlds on the other, seemed amazing to me.  It was
      very interesting to cooperate with strangers, without having a clue about the
      final result. Once you’ve set free your personal interpretation, all you could
      do was trust the others’ associations. It was some kind of a trust test. 
      Dorit Stern, Israel

A collaborative project such as "Scribble it down" opened

my mind to the possibilities inherent in digital art, and it strengthened
      my belief that no one person can claim ownership to it.  Even if I
      drew the first image, it circulated and evolved through every other
      participant. ……..  This new form of collaborative work is very humbling, and its
      results are remained to be seen. Working online offered me the opportunity
      to collaborate with fellow artists from faraway, with whom otherwise I would've
      never been in contact, allowing a cross-cultural flow of ideas and
      perceptions. 
      Gall Orian, Israel

I enjoyed working with artists from around the world. As a painter
      and musician who has collaborated with other artists in person, I was curious
      about the process of doing so with artists that I had never met, without the
      energy of being there together physically. I tried to imbue my offerings with a
      sense of physical place and also my own paintings and music.

Brianna  Lea Pruette, California